Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Spring in Tahoe

It was a busy spring - though it really still seemed like winter. So much snow!

Still powder skiing well into spring . . .

Me on Siberia Spring Skiing 2017!
Yummy Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe . . . 

My brother and I were at our community garden helping my mom plant tomatoes and cucumbers for the summer. Another gardener offered us some of their rhubarb. So, we decided we would make rhubarb pie. Just in time for June 9th, National Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day!

Here's the recipe. Tip: you don't have to use the full amount of sugar.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 2 pints of strawberries
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 6 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 pie crust in tray
  • 1 flat pie crust

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
  • Combine sugar and flour and lightly cover pie crust (in tray) 
  • Heap rhubarb and strawberries over this mixture
  • Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour
  • Dot with small pieces of butter
  • Cover with top crust
  • Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes
  • Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F, and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes
See some other National Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day ideas at ChopChop Magazine here.


Home-grown, kid-made Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie


Memorial Day Weekend - Still skiing lower mountain!

KT Closing 7pm Party
My dad, Cliff, Andrew, me, Daniel, my brother, and Dawn
(my mom is taking the picture)

Gearing up to Memorial Day Weekend - Made in Tahoe

I can't wait for Memorial Day Weekend! I love browsing the cool stuff at Made in Tahoe. Check out this video to see what I mean. This year, I even have my own booth. We will be selling kid-made bath bombs, soaps, lollipops, baked goods, and jewelry.

Me and Alex before we had a booth!
Made in Tahoe 2016

May the 4th be With You . . .

Look how cute these turned out! Stormtrooper marshmallows and bubble wand lightsabers.

Stormtrooper marshmallows and bubble wand Lightsabers

Hibernation? The bear in my backyard . . .

There's a bear that lives under my deck. Sometimes, he lives under my neighbor's deck. Or down the street. And after a very big winter, he's come out of hibernation. If you also live with bears, you should read my brother's presentation Don't Feed the Bears and the Bear League website.

Photo Credit: Doug

Kayaking home from school!

There's a creek that runs between my house and my school. This time of year the creek is rushing because of the snowmelt. So, today, my dad picked us up in an inflatable kayak and we boated home. Thanks to my dad, I got soaked. Burr, that water is cold!